Heritage Building

Armenian Church-The Oldest Church of Calcutta



If Calcutta was once a City of palaces the sobriquet is perhaps more due to the benevolence of the merchant princes from Armenia than that of British Raj. It is also believed that the Khojas as the Armenians were called, had carved out a niche for themselves in Calcutta long before Job Charnock started an English colon....

Assembly House seat of Political change



The history of the West Bengal Legislative Assembly dates back to January 1862 when a 12-member Legislative Council for Bengal was set up by the Governor-General of India under the Indian Councils Act of 1861, comprising the Lt. Governor of Bengal and some nominated members. This important Constitutional development ca....

Babughat



The handsome Grecian Doric colonnade at Babu Ghat was constructed by Baboo Rajchunder Doss of Janbazar, the husband of Rani Rasmoni, in 1830. He was known for his philanthropy and had also constructed a shelter for the dying at Nimtolla Ghat, quite close to the erstwhile temple of Maa Anandomoyee.
There is an in....

Bangiya Sahitya Parishad-Symbol of Bengal Renaissance



Halsey's sprawling garden was once located between Nandanbagan Street and Halsey Bagan Road in north Calcutta. In a small parcel of this land gifted by it's the then owner, Maharaja Manindra Chandra Nandy of Cossimbazar, blossomed the most beautiful flower of Bengal Renaissance a literary society with Rabindranath Tag....

Barisha Aatchala-Relics of Calcutta's History



The onset of autumn signifies the homecoming of the Goddess Durga with her four children. And as the Sanskrit chants fill up the thakur dalaan of Barisha Aachala and the priest uses the pancha pradeep with rhythmic dexterity to offer prayers to the Maa Durga, one is pleasantly led back in time to remember the historic ....